View by category
Articles: CMMS and EAM
Looking Into the Future of the Industry
by Dennis Belanger
What is the ultimate vision for enterprise reliability? If you’re like me, occasionally you find yourself drifting off into a day dream. One of the recurring day dreams I’ve been having for the last 10 years involves this question. I often lapse into deep thought, pondering, “How is all of this reliability and maintenance stuff supposed to work?
Stephen J. Thomas
There are those that believe that SAP EAM/PM is a software application that does not provide satisfactory support for the maintenance and reliability work processes that exist within the plant environment. The recent survey of over 700 maintenance managers and reliability professionals conducted by Reliabilityweb.com dispels this belief entirely! In fact 66% of the respondents actually rated SAP EAM/PM as a good to excellent tool for the execution of maintenance activities.
Written by Dave Bertolini
Reviewed by Larry Carver
While working with Dave on our manufacturing reliability initiative (MRI), I learned he was writing a book. Little did I realize he was also figuring out methods to breathe new life into our existing computerized maintenance management system (CMMS).
The electric grid, as we know it, can't keep up. It's increasingly unreliable, costly to maintain and deliver electricity, vulnerable to attack, and environmentally unsound.
By Bryce Johannes, Blue Mountain Quality Systems
Originally presented at Reliability 2.0
With recent pressures to improve information flow and collaboration driving consolidation of activity through ERP systems, companies have struggled with questions about what they are willing to compromise in order to achieve this harmonization. Particularly for companies in heavily regulated industries, such as those regulated by the FDA, where the compliance issues around calibration management are more sensitive, compromises in calibration management functionality have been hard to swallow.
This article will provide some insights into deciding when to integrate with a 3rd party calibration management solution and how workflow typically occurs between the two applications in an integrated solution.
By Johnny Bofilios
After working in the CMMS/ EAM software world for almost 16 years, I recently switched to an engineering consulting firm focused on helping clients implement reliability best practices. I've developed a fresh perspective on what it takes to implement CMMS/ EAM software successfully.
by Michael Israel
Disclaimer: In our efforts to make readers aware of technology innovations, this Reliabilityweb.com article make extensive mention of a specfic product. This should not be taken to imply endorsement. The product names were used to support the informational delivery of an innovation for the maintenance and reliability community. - Editor
Asset Management: An Explanation
What is asset management?
There are varied points of view, no doubt. So let's get a generally acceptable perspective from two reliable sources:
By Rajen Patel
Do you feel that in your organization SAP Plant maintenance is not being used at its full potential? Do you think you can integrate maintenance activities with other departments? SAP plant maintenance module can't work on its own. It needs to be integrated with other modules in order to get maximum benefits.
By Gene Pargas
Changing the way a large corporation operates is a challenge under any circumstances. But Cintas, one of America's largest providers of specialized business services, has discovered four keys to success that not only facilitated the launch of its first company-wide CMMS system, but could help others avoid costly delays and overcome crippling inertia.
A Brief Introduction to Cloud Computing
by Jonathan Hakim
Software as a Service (SaaS), also commonly referred to as “cloud computing” or “on-demand services,” is sweeping through enterprises in just about every industry. With SaaS, a customer licenses an application for use as a service on demand, either through a time subscription or a “pay-as-you-go” model, rather than purchase the hardware and software to run a standalone application on their own.
Selected graphs are taken from the CMMS Best Practices Study and are consistent with report's figure reference.
Reliabilityweb.com produced a CMMS Best Practices Study in July 2011 demonstrating the value computerized maintenance management systems add, as well as areas for future growth and improvement. The report was based on a survey of users conducted earlier that year which focused on implementation, use and sustainability.
As a marketer, this report is important as it provides an opportunity to better understand the user experience with CMMS in general and, for the Maximo brand specifically, the CMMS that Projetech provides. From this report, we see there is much that is changing in CMMS and the details summarized in the report provide us with opportunities to address the evolving needs of our customers. It is my pleasure to provide a perspective on the results of the survey and report.
by John Reeves
- Are you purchasing a new system which is “best of breed?”
- Are you after a different system because the current product is declining?
- Are you trying to improve process, utilization, analytics and decision-making capabilities (at the same time as purchasing a new product)?
"We see the recession as an opportunity-since we're in the business of helping companies reduce costs and maintain better control of their strategic assets!" It is through these optimistic eyes that Michel Fournier, president of Cogep, sees the uncertain economic climate. What follows is an intimate interview in which one of Canada's finest businessmen goes on to outline how today's financial challenges highlight the need for cost-cutting business solutions.
Your computer maintenance management system (CMMS) is your maintenance management database, and like any database, if the input is bad the output will also be bad. A well-utilized and well-managed CMMS is an invaluable tool that should be in close alignment with a work management system. What does a good CMMS look like?
By Mark Brunner
Computerized Maintenance Management Information System (CMMIS) In Support of Planning, Scheduling, and Coordination
Excerpted by permission from Maintenance Planning, Scheduling & Coordination by Don Nyman and Joel Levitt (Courtesy of Industrial Press)
- Alignment and Balancing
- Asset Management
- CMMS and EAM
- Green Reliability
- Human Asset Management
- Infrared Thermal Imaging
- KPIs - Reliability Performance Metrics
- Lean Maintenance
- Maintenance Management
- Motor and Power System Testing
- MRO - Spares Management
- Oil and Fluid Analysis
- Planning and Scheduling
- PM Optimization
- Predictive Maintenance and Condition Monitoring Management
- Reliability-Centered Maintenance
- Reliability Engineering
- Reliability Leadership
- Root Cause Analysis
- Shutdowns and Turnarounds
- Total Productive Maintenance (Asset Care)
- Vibration Analysis
- Reliability Polls and Quizzes
- Give Work a Chance!
- CMMS Cost Justification: How Do You Justify the Purchase of a New CMMS System?
- Missing Link in Work Management
- Reliability Milestones Reached by Plant-Wide Oil Mist Systems
- Business Analytics
- Engagement - A Maintenance Story
- Why Drive Change? (3)
- Delayed Retribution - The Demise of Skilled Trades Apprenticeship Programs (1)
- Did You Get the Memo? A tongue-in-cheek look at the vicious cycle of corporate insanity
- Reliability Polls and Quizzes
- Electric Motor Bearing Greasing Basics (7)
- The 5S Method of Improvement - Enhancing Safety, Productivity and Culture
- Aerial Infrared – An Asset Management Tool for District Heating System Operators
- Asset Management: concepts and practices (8)
- Maintenance of Hydraulic Systems (3)
- CBM 2011 Video Proceedings (2)
- Improving on the Fishbone Effective Cause-and-Effect Analysis (2)
- Reliabilityweb.com 100 Top Web Sites
- Root Cause Failure Analysis Web Workshops
- The One-Stop Source for Lubricants & Reliability Solutions
- Integrating Your CBM Just Makes Sense
- R300S for When Good Enough – Isn’t Enough!
- Become an Aladon Certified RCM2 Facilitator
- Request Your Des-Case Complimentary Breather Now
- Commtest - Affordable Vibration Analysis
- New eBook: “6 Steps beyond 5 Whys”
- Transform SAP EAM From An Electronic Rolodex into a Performance Management System
- New AT33IND Perfect for QC & Troubleshooting
- Spending the right amount on maintenance?
- Motor Testing Books
- Reliability Engineering Services
- Join The Association For Maintenance Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance Books
- Job Postings for Maintenance and Reliability Professionals
- Belt/Sheave Alignment Laser, Custom Shim and Gaskets
- GPAllied Inspired Training: Hard-Hitting, Impactful Courses and Workshops.
- MRO Inventory and Purchasing Books
- Reliability Centered Maintenance for SAP Plant Maintenance
- IR Windows: Compare and Save with Exiscan
- Noise and Vibration Measurement & Analysis Solutions