Alcoa is currently seeking highly motivated and energetic team members to join our Management Consulting and Strategy (MCS) - Operations Team as an Operations Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA or New York, NY. The Management Consulting and Strategy (MCS) group is Alcoa’s internal strategy consulting group. We are accountable for partnering with business leaders to guide and lead implementation of Alcoa’s three strategic priorities, as defined by the CEO and the Executive Council, to drive profitable growth throughout Alcoa. The MCS Operations Team delivers sustainable operational transformations through disciplined execution of lean manufacturing, automation strategies, reliability excellence (REX), and operations management systems.
To complete our mission effectively, we:
- Create insights into Alcoa’s business operations through fact-based shop floor analysis
- Develop and prioritize actionable solutions to improve operational productivity and equipment reliability working closely with Alcoa business units (BUs) locations and corporate resource units (RUs)
- Establish sustainable management systems and key metrics that align business objectives with shop-floor execution
Roles and Responsibilities:
As an operations consultant, you will have the opportunity to help solve Alcoa’s most significant operational issues. You will be a full member of a project team, working alongside MCS operations analysts and project management in partnership with business unit clients. Through your project work, you will:
- Develop first-hand knowledge of Alcoa’s critical operations and equipment reliability on the shop floor
- Perform operational assessments to develop insights and improvement hypotheses
- Prioritize opportunities and develop action plans to achieve best-in-class performance
- Create and deliver engaging and informative presentations to align leadership
- Recommend and implement practical solutions working directly with clients to drive productivity improvements
Throughout, you will develop strong problem-solving, communication and people-management skills. Project engagements typically last 3-6 months and you will typically be assigned to one engagement at a time. Travel to operating locations, typically 4 days per week, is expected. While there may be short breaks between projects, you should expect to spend the majority of your time away from your home base
Learning and Development:
When you join the MCS Operations Team, you are joining a group that will challenge you and invest heavily in your professional development. MCS leadership adopts interactive development programs with monthly training focused on strategy, leadership, project management and Alcoa-specific organizational topics. MCS also organizes semi-annual offsite training and development functions that engage the entire team.
Beyond formal training, MCS provides informal development opportunities and regular on the job feedback and coaching. High performing operations consultants can expect challenging and stretch assignments that enable skill development, knowledge transfer and professional development. Moreover, through your daily project interactions, you will gain significant exposure to Alcoa business leaders in action.
The Operations Consultant position is the start of a rewarding, challenging, and highly flexible career at Alcoa. The MCS Operations Team is the natural starting point because of its unique vantage point delivering projects that focus on operational excellence throughout all of Alcoa’s businesses.
Our expectation is that after a 2-3 year experience as an operations consultant, team members will take one of two paths forward:
- Assume a key role in an Alcoa business unit that aligns with your career aspirations and skill sets
- Directly advance to an operations engagement manager role within MCS
A bachelor’s degree in engineering, operations research, decision science or other relevant major
A cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher. Preference given to candidates with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
Relevant work experience in an industrial manufacturing role
Qualities we are looking for:
- Demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and an aptitude for industrial analytics
- A strong record of team, project and/or people leadership in a work setting and/or extracurricular activities
- The ability to thrive in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- An aptitude for problem solving
- Previous successful experience as an active member of a team
- A strong commitment to excellence and to personal and professional growth
- Willingness to travel, typically 4 days a week.
- Must be resourceful, responsible, tenacious, curious, independent, confident and high energy
- MBA, 3+ years of business experience in a operations and/or manufacturing consulting role
Location: Pittsburgh, PA or New York City