This engineer leads, supports and executes reliability engineering tasks on new and existing Duke and supplier technologies, as well as, develops test procedures to quantify the reliability of a design and delivers failure analysis and life data analysis resulting from these tests.
Originates and develops analysis methods for determining reliability of components, sub-systems and complete unit designs. Uses statistical processes (i.e. Weibull analysis) to determine test criteria and prediction of future risk/results. Creates test plans, designs and assembles test fixtures, instruments units, acquires data, reports results to the team, and makes recommendations for improvements. Leads team events in root cause evaluation, FMEA (failure modes and effects analysis), fault tree analysis, helps prioritize issues based on risk, and participates in creation/validation of solutions. Performs testing (electrical, gas, performance, life, destructive, agency compliance, energy, component temperatures, etc.) using data acquisition systems, test instrumentation, meters, and other methods) and prepares diagrams, charts, graphs, calculations and reports of results and reviews with development teams. Determines the cost impact of alternates to meet the reliability and performance objectives.
Research & Development Responsibilities/Activities
- Generate and evaluate concepts and ideas for extending the state-of-the-art of products, manufacturing procedures, and equipment
- Research and evaluate new designs, materials, equipment, processes, and engineering software
- Develops analysis methods for determining reliability of components, equipment, and processes.
- Develops predictive models and reliability apportionment during and after the new product/process development
Product & Process Requirement Definition Responsibilities/Activities
- Review and approve product and process requirements, standards, and associated documentation
- Review and approve design specifications to meet customer, agency, and market requirements
- Approve technical briefs and support literature for products
- Analyzes product design and develops reliability program to achieve customer reliability objectives.
- Analyzes field return and failure data to determine field life and reliability as well as failure analysis to determine root cause of failures.
Product & Process Design and Testing Responsibilities/Activities
- Perform qualification of new materials and components
- Develop and Implement test requirements, plans, and procedures
- May perform agency certification activities for new products
- Develop safety policies and procedures and reinforce appropriate safety procedures in all product and process development activities
- Works with Supply Chain and QC to resolve supplier issues
- Acquires data and provides analysis using different statistical tools/programs
- Prepares charts, diagrams, drawings, calculations, and reports for defining reliability problems and making appropriate recommendations.
- Conducts an analysis of reliability problems and investigates to determine the reliability required for the particular situation considering the cost limitations for equipment up/down time, repair/replacement cost, weight, size, and availability of materials equipment.
- Determines the overall cost advantages of alternatives for developing action plans to comply with internal/external customer demands for reliability processes/equipment to avoid failures.
Quality Assurance Responsibilities/Activities
- Approve methods for analysis of failed/returned materials and corrective actions.This includes managing the Failure Reporting Analysis and Corrective Action System (FRACAS) to ensure appropriate corrective action and follow-up is completed.
- Review yield, performance, and other statistical trend analysis and approve recommended product/process improvements
- Approve disposition criteria for non-conforming products, materials, and components v Manage major subcontracts
Technical Support Responsibilities/Activities
- Identifies equipment and training needed to support long term goals
Coaching/ Mentoring Responsibilities/Activities
- Actively develop other employees through coaching and feedback, job assignments and rotation, and on-the-job training
- Lead technical seminars and other professional development forums
The above list of essential duties is not exhaustive. It only defines some of the main responsibilities. An employee may be required to perform additional tasks not listed above.
- Advanced degree in field of specialization (engineering, statistics, mathematics) or Bachelor’s degree and related experience, or equivalent experience (7 - 10 years).
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Understanding and practical application of Microsoft Office, CAD, modeling, analysis, programming and Internet access software programs.
- Solid engineering skills in HALT/HASS, testing, equipment usage, math, heat transfer, electrical theory, fluids, material properties, etc.
- Familiarity with Lean, DFT, ISO and Quality principles.
- Familiarity with products being manufactured and their processes.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact and communicate with all organization levels.
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to use continuous improvement tools and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team-based environment.
- The ability to have a flexible schedule is necessary. Candidate will be part of a team providing support to a multi-site user base.
- Ability to administer companywide policies and programs;
- Ability to adhere to and plan a project budget;
- Ability to organize and successfully complete work on multiple concurrent projects
- Ability to tolerate interruptions and changes to initial plans in a very controlled/professional manner
- Ability to adhere to a strict timeline;
- Ability to demonstrate “can-do” attitude at all times;
- Ability to prepare written communications skills concisely and coherently;
- Ability to check others’ work for accuracy;
- Ability to analyze numerical data utilizing statistical analysis capabilities;
- Ability to develop a climate of enthusiasm, teamwork and cooperation among employees;
- Ability to strictly enforce company policy;
- Ability to interact with customers effectively and build rapport;
- Ability to give presentations in front of customers and/or a large group;
- Ability to be punctual and manage time effectively;
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
Physical Job Requirements:
- Speaking to employees and customers.
- Listening to employees and customers.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Standing for continuous periods of time without being able to leave the work area.
- Lifting (raising or lowering objects)
- Pulling and/or pushing (exerting up to 10 pounds on a regular basis so that the object is moved to or away from the employee)
- Carrying objects (in arms or on shoulders)
- Grasping (applying pressure to objects)
- Reaching (extending hands and arms in any direction)
- Stooping and crouching (bending downward and forward)
- Feeling (perceiving attributes of objects such as size, shape, temperature, or texture):
Mental and Visual Job Requirements:
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less.
- Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more.
- Ability to bring objects into sharp focus.
- Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Ability to judge distance and space relationships.
- Ability to learn and comprehend instructions and orientation to the job.
- Ability to concentrate attention on task at hand for extended periods of time.
Workplace Environmental Conditions:
- Typical office environment and electrical lab environment
- Occasionally subject to sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to heard above the ambient noise level.
- Occasional exposure to oscillating movements (vibrations) of the extremities or whole body.
- Occasional exposure to hazardous conditions: proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, explosives, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
Tools Used to Perform Essential Functions:
- Equipment: Personal computer, telephone, fax, copier, data acquisition system, various hand tools and power tools.
- Software: Email, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Epicor ERP, MS Project, MS Powerpoint, MS Visio, MS Visual Studio, MS SQL Management Studio, Solidworks, and Solidworks Enterprise PDM. Familiar with Reliasoft analysis tools including Weibull++, ALTA, DOE++ and BlockSim for reliability data analysis.
Location: St. Louis, MO