Playing a vital role in the economy of New York State and Connecticut, Metro-North Railroad, a subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), is the busiest commuter railroad in the nation with an annual ridership of over 82 million. A dynamic organization with a strong focus on customer service, safety, and new technologies, Metro-North employs approximately 5,900 people. Operating out of its home base in New York City’s historic Grand Central Terminal, the railroad’s three lines serve 120 stations in seven counties in New York and two counties in Connecticut. In 2011, Metro-North received the prestigious International Brunel Award for Overall Excellence in Railroad Design, recognizing its continuing work as a more efficient operation, its commitment to sustainability, and its focus on providing excellent customer service. Metro-North was the first American railroad to win this coveted award in its 30-year history. The competition is open to all passenger and freight railroads in the world. Metro-North has a reputation for rewarding employee resourcefulness and innovation, and offers excellent job opportunities in a challenging and diverse environment
Job ID: 81393
Location: Manhattan - Midtown
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Application Deadline: Until Filled.
Compensation: Min: $101,486 / Mid: $126,858 / Max: $152,229
This position is accountable for assisting the CMO in directing all activities of the Maintenance of Equipment Department in a safe and efficient manner, which includes, shop operations, field operations, engineering and planning, maintenance and repair of all locomotive and passenger car rolling stock of Metro-North Railroad. Responsible for developing long-range plans and projections of future needs for fleet maintenance, preventive maintenance and repair. Responsible for development and integration of capital projects for fleet and facility replacements while fostering cultural and process changes maximizing the benefits derived from the investments.
• Develop and lead the inter-state coordination required to integrate the New York and Connecticut Department of Transportation maintenance facilities and replacement fleets into the operating division’s business plan.
• Assist in the development of long range plans and projections for fleet maintenance, fleet composition, yard and maintenance facility requirements.
• Oversee and ensure that the planning, scheduling and execution of the maintenance, repair and upgrade work on all Metro-North owned rolling stock is completed in accordance with all Federal regulations and industry standards.
• Promote and enforce safe practices, policies and procedures for working on or about rolling stock, buildings, yards or other facilities which are used by Maintenance of Equipment Department personnel.
• Develop senior management supporting succession planning while fostering a climate of collaboration, problem solving and teamwork for all stakeholders that support corporate long range goals and departmental initiatives, create synergy and enhance employee development.
• Assist in the development of the annual budget submission and ensure that the Department operates within the established budget by designing and instituting the necessary internal processes, protocols and controls.
• Demonstrated knowledge of industry rolling stock maintenance practices and federal regulations with particular attention to commuter rail fleet types.
• Demonstrable leadership skills to motivate and foster teamwork within the department.
• Demonstrable leadership skills in the areas of safety, project management, cause analysis, forecasting and planning.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products and/or comparable applications.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to create a climate of continuous improvement.
• Effective communication skills with a prominence on effective public speaking use of diplomacy, tact and employee relations within a political environment.
• Capable of exercising independent judgment and displays creative problem solving skills.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Must have a valid driver’s license
A familiarity of mainframe and/or web based rolling stock maintenance programs such as; Terminal Management System (TMS), Incident Management System (IMS), Asset Management System (AMS).
Familiarity with applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Transportation, Business/Industrial Management or related field required.
• Demonstrated equivalent experience, education and/or technical credentials may be considered in lieu of degree.
• Minimum ten (10) years of progressively more complex general management experience in rolling stock maintenance.
• Minimum seven (7) years experience in managing a diverse group of employees at various levels.
Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Management or similar discipline.
This is a safety sensitive position and subject to toxicological testing.
To be selected for a position, an applicant must: (1) meet the minimum requirements in the job posting, (2) pass a written examination (if applicable), (3) satisfy a background investigation (which includes credit, if applicable), and (4) pass an oral interview, during which the interviewers will further evaluate the applicant’s qualifications for the position. Because the selection process is competitive, not all qualified applicants are granted an interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
How To Apply:
Please visit us at http://www.mta.info/mta/employment/ and Search for Deputy Chief Mechanical Officer, Job ID: #81393 under Metro-North Railroad.
All Applicants must apply online to be considered. Metro-North no longer accepts hard copies of resumes.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the ‘APPLY NOW’ button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
MTA Metro-North is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Location: Manhattan - Midtown