At United States Steel Corporation, our strength is our people. Our 45,000 dedicated, diverse and innovative employees across North America and Europe contribute to our company in creative ways every day and have helped us maintain our position as a Fortune 500 company. U. S. Steel’s operations are efficient and high tech and our customer focus intense. We’ve been making steel for more than 105 years, always with an eye to making it better, faster and more cost effectively. U. S. Steel has a Vision for the future - Making Steel. World Competitive - Building Value.
This high profile role exhibits an ability to instill a RCM culture throughout the facility. This person has an ability to understand the organization’s politics and roles to accomplish the required work. They understand the processes, requirements to achieve world class results, and the financial impact of Reliability Centered Maintenance changes. This person will also be responsible for providing leadership, solutions and strategic direction to support value creation through operational improvements. As the champion for the reliability program facility wide, the incumbent will lead the preventive and predictive maintenance program for all applicable manufacturing units and will also be responsible for overseeing and implementing plant engineering projects and initiatives of a technical nature focused on improving productivity, quality, cost, safety, etc. at the plant location. This individual should have a solid track record in PM/PdM and who has mentored and developed personnel in maintenance departments. Also important is familiarization background in Lean and Six Sigma. This person must have a passion for improvement and an ability to instill transformational change. As a key decision maker within the organization, the role will report to the General / Plant Manager of the facility.
- Provide overall leadership on complex improvement projects that deliver significant cost savings and have a considerable business impact and support operational excellence objectives.
- Implement sustainable ongoing performance improvements related to manufacturing operations, including support functions.
- Drive culture change to instill focus on fact-based management practices via the use of Lean Six Sigma and other problem solving methodologies.
- Identify, prioritize, and execute projects that lead to significant operational improvements.
- Train and mentor site Black Belts, Green Belts and Yellow Belts and other individuals on process improvement using the Lean Six Sigma Methodology.
- Facilitate organization and cross-organization knowledge sharing of operational excellence best practices.
- Provides technical resources as required to support facility outages, breakdowns and upgrades.
- Interacts as required with USS vendors, contractors, suppliers.
- Assures the maintenance planning and scheduling functions meet the operational requirements of the business plan.
- Responsibility for Reliability Centered Maintenance practices implemented across the maintenance/operation organization.
- Responsibility for aligning top level and bottom level personnel with Reliability Centered Maintenance requirements to ensure there is an understanding and an acceptance of its goals.
- Serve as local champion for Corporate Reliability Centered Maintenance program.
- Establishing a platform for troubleshooting of plant maintenance problems and establish Preventive and
- Predictive Maintenance procedures facility wide.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a closely related technical field required; master’s degree preferred
- At least 10 years of relevant manufacturing industry experience
- Lean Six Sigma Certification desirable
- Proven project management skills, including the ability to lead and influence high-performing teams
- Exceptional communication and influencing skills
- Outstanding problem solving and analytical skills
BUSINESS CONTRIBUTION/IMPACT & LEADERSHIP
- Provide strategic direction for the identification and implementation of high impact, value added process improvement projects which achieve significant cost savings.
- Makes business decisions that have longer-term impact on the company.
- Prioritizes multiple projects to ensure proper allocation of people and financial resources.
- Recognizes, develops and rewards employees as a key element of executing operational business plans.
- This position is key to ensure that Reliability Centered Maintenance is successfully implemented and achieves expected improvements in maintenance reliability and the associated financial benefits.
- This role is has the same responsibilities as the Director level role, however the scope of responsibilities is lower due to the plant size.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/ PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Plant Location
- Heavy manufacturing industry and maintenance environment
U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Location: Lorain, OH