What is the Objective of Maintenance Planning and Scheduling?
That question seems simple enough, however the answer may be one of the fundamental causes for P&S efforts that fail to deliver their potential. Normally, the answer to this question comes from the maintenance perspective and therein lies the problem. P&S is a system more than a process and because it is a system that extends beyond the maintenance process, the objectives cannot merely come from a maintenance perspective.
From the Maintenance perspective, the objectives are:
1. To leverage your labor resources (get more work accomplished with fewer people).
2. To establish an approach that over the long term will reduce reactive maintenance.
3. To minimize the chaos and efficiency losses resulting from disconnects with the productions schedule, priority changes, emergency work, and unanticipated part outages.
The bottom line for Maintenance is that an effective Planning and Scheduling system will enable your maintenance personnel to accomplish more work.
How effective is your Maintenance Planning and Scheduling?
Ricky Smith, CMRP,CMRT,CRL
Reliability Solutions Advisor
- The One-Stop Source for Lubricants & Reliability Solutions
- Become an Aladon Certified RCM2 Facilitator
- MRO Inventory and Purchasing Books
- Integrating Your CBM Just Makes Sense
- Total Productive Maintenance Books
- Request Your Des-Case Complimentary Breather Now
- IR Windows: Compare and Save with Exiscan
- Spending the right amount on maintenance?
- Motor Testing Books
- Performing Condition Monitoring the Old Way? Try the Smart Way.
- Join The Association For Maintenance Professionals
- Belt/Sheave Alignment Laser, Custom Shim and Gaskets
- Job Postings for Maintenance and Reliability Professionals
- New AT33IND Perfect for QC & Troubleshooting
- Alignment and Balancing
- Asset Management
- CMMS and EAM
- Competency-Based Learning
- Computerized Maintenance Management System
- Green Reliability
- Human Capital Management
- Infrared Thermal Imaging
- Machinery Lubrication
- Motor Testing
- MRO - Spares Management
- Oil Analysis
- Operational Excellence
- Operator-Driven Reliability
- Planning and Scheduling
- PM Optimization
- Asset Condition Management
- Preventive Maintenance
- Reliability Engineering
- Reliability Leadership
- Reliability-Centered Maintenance
- Root Cause Analysis
- Ultrasound Testing
- Vibration Analysis