Hydraulic Maintenance Knowledge
People say knowledge is power. Well this is also true in hydraulic maintenance. Many maintenance organizations do not know what their maintenance personnel should know. I believe in an industrial maintenance organization that we should divide the hydraulic skill necessary into two groups. One is the hydraulic troubleshooter, they must be your experts in maintenance and this should be as a rule of thumb 10% or less of your maintenance workforce. The other 90% + would be your general hydraulic maintenance personnel. They are the personnel that provide the preventive maintenance expertise. The percentages I gave you are based on a company developing a true Preventive / Proactive maintenance approach to their hydraulic systems. Let’s talk about what the hydraulic troubleshooter knowledge and skills.
• Mechanical Principles / force, work, rate, simple machines
• Math / basic math, complex math equations
• Hydraulic Components / application and function of all hydraulic system components.
• Hydraulic Schematic Symbols / understanding all symbols and their relationship to a hydraulic system.
• Calculate flow, pressure, and speed.
• Calculate the system filtration necessary to achieve the system’s proper ISO particulate code.
• Trace a hydraulic circuit to 100% proficiency.
• Set the pressure on a pressure compensated pump.
• Tune the voltage on an amplifier card.
• Null a servo valve.
• Troubleshoot a hydraulic system and utilize “Root Cause Failure Analysis”.
• Replace any system component to manufacturer’s specification.
• Develop a PM Program for a hydraulic system.
• Flush a hydraulic system after a major component failure.
• Filters / function, application, installation techniques
• Reservoirs / function, application
• Basic hydraulic system operation
• Cleaning of hydraulic systems
• Hydraulic lubrication principles
• Proper PM techniques for hydraulics
• Change a hydraulic filter and other system components.
• Clean a hydraulic reservoir.
• Perform PM on a hydraulic system.
• Change a strainer on a hydraulic pump.
• Add filtered fluid to a hydraulic system.
• Identify potential problems on a hydraulic system.
• Change a hydraulic hose, fitting or tubing.
Tip provided by Ricky Smith CMRP
- Alignment and Balancing
- Asset Management
- CMMS and EAM
- Competency-Based Learning
- Computerized Maintenance Management System
- Criticality Analysis
- Defect Elimination
- Green Reliability
- Human Capital Management
- Infrared Thermal Imaging
- Key Performance Indicators
- Machinery Lubrication
- Motor Testing
- MRO - Spares Management
- Oil Analysis
- Operational Excellence
- Operator-Driven Reliability
- Planning and Scheduling
- PM Optimization
- Asset Condition Management
- Preventive Maintenance
- Reliability Engineering
- Reliability Engineering for Maintenance
- Reliability Leadership
- Reliability-Centered Maintenance
- Root Cause Analysis
- Ultrasound Testing
- Vibration Analysis
- Work Execution Management
- Asset Management Practices, Investments and Challenges 2014-2019
- Maintenance Ethics
- The Butterfly Effect of Innovation (How to Manage Innovation’s Affect on Culture)
- Managing and Improving Information by Stealth
- We Remember John Moubray, Originator of RCM2 – Reliability Centered Maintenance
- Using Ultrasound And Infrared As Complimentary Technologies
- Machine Lubrication – Where to Start and How to Maintain
- Reliability Improvement – The Next Step after Condition Monitoring
- Training and Professional Development Make Happier and More Productive Employees
- Determining Proper Equipment Data Collection Intervals
- The 5S Method of Improvement - Enhancing Safety, Productivity and Culture
- Electric Motor Bearing Greasing Basics (8)
- Benchmarking, Best Practices, Standardization… Development or Envelopment?
- How Do Continuous Improvement Management Philosophies Relate to the Maintenance Function? (2)
- Asset Management: concepts and practices (8)
- Aerial Infrared – An Asset Management Tool for District Heating System Operators
- Maintenance of Hydraulic Systems (3)
- Reliabilityweb.com 100 Top Web Sites
- Improving on the Fishbone Effective Cause-and-Effect Analysis (2)
- Failure Modes: A Closer Look at Ductile and Brittle Overload Fractures