Keep Moisture Out
A desiccant is a substance that induces or sustains a state of dryness in its local area, in a moderately sealed container. It is used to trap moisture from the air, thereby maintaining humidity levels in a container. So, if you have an electrical enclosure (distribution box, breaker panel, junction box, etc.), located in a high humidity area, you may want to think about using one.
If you decide to use a desiccant, it should be placed within a closed moisture barrier or sealed container. This allows the desiccant to absorb the trapped moisture vapor inside the enclosure; therefore, it is recommended that you have well maintained gaskets on the enclosures. A Humidity Indicating Card can be placed inside the enclosure to show humidity levels and indicate when the desiccant needs to be replaced.
To determine the type and quantity of desiccant to use, you must know the type of container/enclosure you are going to place it in and calculate the volume or area of the enclosure. Select the type of desiccant to fit the application based on the amount of moisture to be absorbed, temperature, and humidity of the space. Also, make sure to check the integrity of the gaskets of your enclosure.
Tip Provided by: Pdma Corporation
Phone Number: +1-813-621-6463
- Become an Aladon Certified RCM2 Facilitator
- Total Productive Maintenance Books
- Job Postings for Maintenance and Reliability Professionals
- MRO Inventory and Purchasing Books
- Motor Testing Books
- New AT33IND Perfect for QC & Troubleshooting
- Noise and Vibration Measurement & Analysis Solutions
- R300S for When Good Enough – Isn’t Enough!
- Integrating Your CBM Just Makes Sense
- The One-Stop Source for Lubricants & Reliability Solutions
- Join The Association For Maintenance Professionals
- Transform SAP EAM From An Electronic Rolodex into a Performance Management System
- IR Windows: Compare and Save with Exiscan
- Allied Reliability Group Inspired Training: Hard-Hitting, Impactful Courses and Workshops
- Commtest - Affordable Vibration Analysis
- Belt/Sheave Alignment Laser, Custom Shim and Gaskets
- Reliability Centered Maintenance for SAP Plant Maintenance
- Free eBook: “5 Critical Components in Your RCA Program”
- Reliability Engineering Services
- Request Your Des-Case Complimentary Breather Now
- Spending the right amount on maintenance?