Monitoring Reciprocating Compressors
Advanced ultrasound inspection of reciprocal compressors.
When it comes to recips the opportunities for failure are many. Seal integrity around the piston cylinder wall reduces efficiency of compression. Dirty and worn valves do not seat properly due to corrosion and debris built up around the valve head. Wear and tear leads to broken valves and permanent component damage.
There are equal opportunities to win back uptime by applying advance ultrasound inspections. Recording dynamic signals at frequent intervals and performing simple time waveform analysis opens our senses to failures with an early enough warning to avoid a catastrophic shutdown.
Using simple UAS software, it is easy to expand 1/10th or even 1/100th of a second of data to see a valve open, exhaust and close. During that blink of an eye, we can see if there is complete sealing of the valve seat, and we can even assess the strength of the valve spring.
FOR MORE INFORMATION READ “IS THAT A SCREW DRIVER IN YOUR EAR?” BY ALLAN RIENSTRA
Tip provided by: Allan Rienstra, SDT Ultrasound Solutions
Previous tip: Definition: Periodic Vibration
Next tip: Understanding Hidden Failures, the Saga of the Parachute
- New eBook: “6 Steps beyond 5 Whys”
- IR Windows: Compare and Save with Exiscan
- Reliability Centered Maintenance for SAP Plant Maintenance
- Commtest - Affordable Vibration Analysis
- MRO Inventory and Purchasing Books
- New AT33IND Perfect for QC & Troubleshooting
- GPAllied Inspired Training: Hard-Hitting, Impactful Courses and Workshops.
- Integrating Your CBM Just Makes Sense
- Become an Aladon Certified RCM2 Facilitator
- Belt/Sheave Alignment Laser, Custom Shim and Gaskets
- Total Productive Maintenance Books
- R300S for When Good Enough – Isn’t Enough!
- Join The Association For Maintenance Professionals
- Request Your Des-Case Complimentary Breather Now
- Motor Testing Books
- Job Postings for Maintenance and Reliability Professionals
- Noise and Vibration Measurement & Analysis Solutions
- Transform SAP EAM From An Electronic Rolodex into a Performance Management System
- The One-Stop Source for Lubricants & Reliability Solutions
- Reliability Engineering Services
- Spending the right amount on maintenance?