RCFA – A Great Tool, But How Proactive Is It?
In the reliability improvement field, we often come across organizations that talk about being proactive, but then rely on root cause failure analysis (RCFA) as a primary method for improving their maintenance programs. This is not to say that RCFA is not an important analytical tool, but if RCFA is driving improvement, it’s important to recognize that a failure must have already occurred! To be truly proactive, it is critical to examine equipment before it fails using failure mode identification techniques like RCM and FMEA. A common second mistake is that companies relying on RCFA will then apply the findings to all similar assets, regardless of operating context. This can drive costs up needlessly and reduce management’s belief in your reliability efforts.
Tip Provided by:Adam Grahn - Principal, Business Development
The Asset Performance Group Inc. (APG)
- Free eBook: “5 Critical Components in Your RCA Program”
- R300SR for When Good Enough – Isn’t Enough!
- New AT33IND Perfect for QC & Troubleshooting
- Spending the right amount on maintenance?
- Job Postings for Maintenance and Reliability Professionals
- Join The Association For Maintenance Professionals
- Commtest - Affordable Vibration Analysis
- Performing Condition Monitoring the Old Way? Try the Smart Way.
- Allied Reliability Group Inspired Training: Hard-Hitting, Impactful Courses and Workshops
- Integrating Your CBM Just Makes Sense
- Total Productive Maintenance Books
- Become an Aladon Certified RCM2 Facilitator
- Reliability Engineering Services
- Request Your Des-Case Complimentary Breather Now
- The One-Stop Source for Lubricants & Reliability Solutions
- IR Windows: Compare and Save with Exiscan
- Belt/Sheave Alignment Laser, Custom Shim and Gaskets
- Motor Testing Books
- MRO Inventory and Purchasing Books
- Noise and Vibration Measurement & Analysis Solutions
- The Challenge of Change
- Tricky Business: Proper Lubrication for Greased Bearings
- Is Your Equipment Telling You When It Needs PM?
- Doing It “Right” in Maintenance
- Equipment Reliability Assessment by Sampling Standard Information from Operations
- A Sustainable & Effective Approach to Vibration Analysis
- Understanding Criticality: Myths and Pitfalls to Avoid
- Asset Management and Servitization
- As Advancements in Big Data, the Cloud and IoT Transform APM, Who Will Own the Data?
- Chasing the Checkered Flag
- The 5S Method of Improvement - Enhancing Safety, Productivity and Culture
- Benchmarking, Best Practices, Standardization… Development or Envelopment?
- Electric Motor Bearing Greasing Basics (8)
- How Do Continuous Improvement Management Philosophies Relate to the Maintenance Function? (2)
- Maintenance of Hydraulic Systems (3)
- Resonance - Machinery Rock & Roll
- Aerial Infrared – An Asset Management Tool for District Heating System Operators
- Asset Management: concepts and practices (8)
- Reliabilityweb.com 100 Top Web Sites
- Cintas Discovers Keys to Organizational Change Through CMMS Rollout (2)