What is the Objective of Planning and Scheduling?
That question seems simple enough, however the answer may be one of the fundamental causes for Planning and Scheduling efforts that fail to deliver their potential.
Normally, the answer to this question comes from the maintenance perspective and therein lies the problem. Planning and Scheduling is a system more than a process. And because it is a system that extends beyond the maintenance process, the objectives can not merely come from a maintenance perspective.
I can assure you that without consideration of Productions needs, in addition to those of Maintenance and Reliability, implementing Planning and Scheduling will resemble pushing a rope, and will likely be an exercise that turns out to be much harder than it should be. Considering and establishing clear objectives for involved organizations is one of the most critical steps in establishing a Planning and Scheduling system that is simple and effective.
From the Maintenance perspective, the objectives are:
1. To leverage your labor resource (get more work accomplished with fewer people).
2. To establish an approach that over the long term will reduce reactive maintenance.
3. To minimize the chaos and efficiency losses resulting from disconnects with the production schedule, priority changes, emergency work, and unanticipated part outages.
The bottom line for Maintenance is that an effective Planning and Scheduling system will enable your maintenance personnel to accomplish more work.
This result should be unquestionably obvious in even a moderately successful Planning and Scheduling effort.
Tip from Jerry Wilson and Ricky Smith, Co-Authors Planning & Scheduling Made Simple
- Request Your Des-Case Complimentary Breather Now
- Free eBook: “5 Critical Components in Your RCA Program”
- Total Productive Maintenance Books
- MRO Inventory and Purchasing Books
- Noise and Vibration Measurement & Analysis Solutions
- Join The Association For Maintenance Professionals
- Reliability Engineering Services
- Reliability Centered Maintenance for SAP Plant Maintenance
- GPAllied Inspired Training: Hard-Hitting, Impactful Courses and Workshops.
- IR Windows: Compare and Save with Exiscan
- Spending the right amount on maintenance?
- Commtest - Affordable Vibration Analysis
- The One-Stop Source for Lubricants & Reliability Solutions
- Belt/Sheave Alignment Laser, Custom Shim and Gaskets
- New AT33IND Perfect for QC & Troubleshooting
- Integrating Your CBM Just Makes Sense
- Transform SAP EAM From An Electronic Rolodex into a Performance Management System
- Job Postings for Maintenance and Reliability Professionals
- R300S for When Good Enough – Isn’t Enough!
- Become an Aladon Certified RCM2 Facilitator
- Motor Testing Books
- Reliability Polls and Quizzes
- Machinery Health Monitoring Depends on Accelerometers - PART 3: Calibrating Accelerometers
- Is Your Maintenance Lean or Lean?
- Why Single-Source Supply Contracts Can Disappoint - PART 2
- Cincinnati’s Metropolitan Sewer District’s - Maintenance Reliability Program Delivers Results
- Asset Management? Or, Maintenance Management, Rebranded?
- Q&A with 2 Industry Leaders that won the Best Presenter Award at the 28th International Maintenance
- Uptime Awards Stories 2013
- Making the Most of SAP for Plant Maintenance
- Part 2 Machinery Health Monitoring Depends on Accelerometers: Signals from Accelerometers
- Reliability Polls and Quizzes
- The 5S Method of Improvement - Enhancing Safety, Productivity and Culture
- Electric Motor Bearing Greasing Basics (7)
- Asset Management: concepts and practices (8)
- Aerial Infrared – An Asset Management Tool for District Heating System Operators
- How Do Continuous Improvement Management Philosophies Relate to the Maintenance Function? (2)
- Maintenance of Hydraulic Systems (3)
- Improving on the Fishbone Effective Cause-and-Effect Analysis (2)
- Reliabilityweb.com 100 Top Web Sites
- CBM 2011 Video Proceedings (2)
- Alignment and Balancing
- Asset Management
- CMMS and EAM
- Competency-Based Learning
- Green Reliability
- Human Capital Management
- Infrared Thermal Imaging
- Machinery Lubrication
- Motor Testing
- MRO - Spares Management
- Oil Analysis
- Operational Excellence
- Operator-Driven Reliability
- Planning and Scheduling
- PM Optimization
- Asset Condition Management
- Preventive Maintenance
- Reliability Engineering
- Reliability Leadership
- Reliability-Centered Maintenance
- Root Cause Analysis
- Ultrasound Testing
- Vibration Analysis