Question: What is the quickest way to improve wrench time?
Answer: Short repairs during PMs (defined as short but complete repairs on problems found during PMs that are done during the PM).
To see how this works let's list the activities of a PM from soup to nuts.
|Get job assignment|
|Move truck (equipment) from yard (dead line) to bay|
|Lock out tag out –make it safe|
|Collect special tools and equipment|
|Locate, check and collect parts, materials|
|Travel to job with materials and tools (field and infrastructure)|
|Quick safety walk down|
|Perform work (this is the only real wrench time)|
|Clean up work area on truck|
|Move truck to go line, return to operations|
|Return tools and excess materials|
|Do paperwork, work order, closing comments|
There are 13 activities and only 1 is productive. One thing is clear. When we can do a second or third planned job on the same asset we would add mostly to the “perform work” time. Let’s put some times into the blocks and see if you agree or not:
|Activity||Doing PM only in minutes||PM + 60 minute short repair|
|Get job assignment||10||10|
|Move equipment to work bay or go to equipment||25||25|
|Lock out tag out||15||15|
|Collect special tools and heavy equipment||30||30|
|Locate, check and collect parts, materials||60||60|
|Travel to job with materials and tools (field and infrastructure)||5||5|
|Quick safety walk down||10||10|
|Perform work||90||90+60 = 150|
|Clean up work area||10||15|
|Move equipment, return to operations||15||15|
|Return tools and excess materials||10||10|
|Do paperwork, work order, closing comments||10||15|
Wow, 25% increase in wrench time for that job.
One advantage is that the PM inspectors feel trusted and take greater ownership of the health of the equipment.
There are 5 rules for short repairs
- You have to set a maximum time depending on the size of your facility and your type of equipment. Usually the limit is 15 minutes to as long as an hour are common.
- The repair must be able to be done safely with the tools that the PM person has with them.
- The last rule is that PM mechanic must be already carrying any necessary materials or parts
- Of course, the mechanic must have the skills
- If in your organization the scope of work on the permit has to be followed and if changed, the permit has to be reissued then short repairs are not for you
Important to code the extra time as CM and not PM on work order if possible
Disadvantages to short repairs that should be known and managed:
- The skill requirement for PM people for short repairs is significantly higher than for just PM
- Short repairs require significant judgment (so the short repair doesn’t turn into a long repair or isn’t too disruptive)
- One thing that you need to accept is that short repairs cause schedule disruptions
Tip provided by Joel Levitt, CRL, CPMM, Prosci Certified Change Management Practitioner
Director of Projects for the Reliability Leadership Institute™ Reliabilityweb.com