Please use your business email address if applicable
Please use your business email address if applicable
Visite nuestro sitio en Español
“R.A.I.” the Reliability.aiTMChatbot
Are you interested?Apply On Web
Ride BART to a satisfying career that lets you both: 1) make a difference to Bay Area residents, and 2) enjoy excellent pay, benefits, and employment stability. BART is looking for people who like to be challenged, work in a fast paced environment, and have a passion for connecting riders to work, school and other places they need to go. BART offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, paid time off, and the CalPERS retirement program.
Conditions of Employment
All San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART) employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. You will be required to show proof of your completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to receiving a final offer, unless you receive a COVID-19 Vaccination reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or a religious exemption due to an approved sincerely held religious belief that prohibits you from receiving a vaccine. BART will review requests for a reasonable accommodation or religious exemption on a case-by-case basis. Documentation may be required. For questions, please contact BART Human Resources, Leave Management at HRDP@bart.gov.
Operations Planning Department
Pay and Benefits
BART offers comprehensive compensation and benefits programs. Benefits include CalPERS pension; excellent medical (effective January 1, 2023 current employee cost $160.96 monthly for most plans), vision, and dental coverage; supplemental insurances; paid holidays and vacation; as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART. BART does not participate in Social Security. Complimentary BART passes for employee and qualifying dependents.
$113,621.00/annually - $172,136.00/annually (Pay band 07)
Initial salary will be between $113,621.00 annually - $154,824.00 annually depending on experience and education,
April 17, 2023
Initial review will be May 1, 2023
Open until filled.
Manager of Operations Reliability Engineering
Saturday and Sunday
Who May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees.
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART) is recruiting to fill a vacant Senior CSE (Computer Systems Engineer) position.
Incumbents in this position will receive assignments on a variety of ongoing projects and critical tasks, including developing concepts, programming, documentation, implementation, and testing of enhancements and software corrections to the advanced systems responsible for data mining and analysis of systems related to all aspect of BART Operations.
The selected candidate will be responsible for performing the more complex and difficult duties of staff responsible for: Maintaining relational databases and deploying various programing languages to manage big data associated with operations performance; Supporting projects and assisting in the development of data modeling and optimization, analysis, forecasting, reporting, dashboarding and representation, and drafting of related narratives and presentations. Developing, maintaining, and operating complex computer-based data retrieval and analytical systems. Reviewing, testing, and improving systems performance, and designing/implementing improvements. The incumbent may also review and participate in the work of staff and perform related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate many of the following skills beyond the minimum qualifications:
Education is preferred in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with at least 3 years work experience in programming.
Be able to develop algorithms, codes, and systems as needed with quality, leveragability, scalability, and maintainability in mind.
Working knowledge of software configuration management, change control, and version control.
Experience with a variety of operating systems, including Linux and MS Windows preferably in virtualized environment (e.g. VMware), including practical systems and server administration.
Must be a self-starter and committed individual with problem-solving skills and a successful track record of producing quality results. Must be motivated to learn and apply new technologies and skills quickly.
Strong teamwork and collaboration skills; ability to get work done with others as well as to lead complex tasks and projects independently.
Excellent communication skills, including the ability to make clear presentations, produce concise technical reports, and explain complex/technical issues to BART management and leaders.
An understanding of physical and mathematical principles, data analytics, statistical analysis and presentation solutions, and a keen interest in keeping up to date with emerging technology, developments, and trends in these areas. Prior exposure to AI or ML projects would be a plus.
In 2022, BART celebrated 50 years of operating a heavy-rail transit system serving the San Francisco Bay Area. The transit backbone of the region, BART carries half of the region's miles traveled on transit along more than 130 miles of track and through 50 stations across five counties. BART connects to 18 other transit operators, including the Capital Corridor, and represents almost 90% of all transit transfers. BART's capital infrastructure investment program focuses on sustaining the reliability, safety and resilience of the system's existing assets, while also investing in improvements to enhance the customer experience and stimulate ridership, such as those that support transit-oriented development. This position is part of a dynamic team that plays an important role in measuring, analyzing, and reporting operations performance KPIs, and in assisting multiple projects, such as new vehicle fleets and new CBTC Computer Based Train Control system to assure reliability and performance.
Essential Job Functions
1. Performs advanced computer systems engineering duties in control of the development, modification, installation and maintenance of the District's computerized equipment and systems; designs and tests computer control systems; monitors relative systems operations; provides direction to programmers and installation staff.
2. Resolves complex computer systems malfunctions; analyzes and determines cause, takes corrective actions; recommends system modifications as required.
3. Performs system database maintenance duties including analysis of space usage, backup, recovery and performance tuning recovery; reorganizes database configuration; maintains multiple database versions to support production and systems development operations; maintains and supports online and offline databases in multiple locations. 4. Analyzes District plant engineering changes; determines requirements for database updates; analyzes impact on other subsystems.
4. Prepares plant for short and long term modification to existing computer systems; prepares cost benefit analysis and estimates for computer system projects.
5. Designs hardware and software modifications to control and data collection systems; prepares equipment specifications and procurement contracts.
6. Develops computer operating manuals and test procedures; prepares computer hardware and software installation, modification, and testing.
7. Develops and modifies various complex programming codes and scripts; acts as liaison between the District and software consultants and equipment manufacturers.
8. Provides technical computer systems engineering support for various departments throughout the District in the maintenance of computer systems operations; analyzes user requirements; provides software or hardware solutions.
9. Prepares a variety of technical reports, manuals, specifications, drawings and correspondence relevant to project areas.
10. Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of computer systems engineering.
11. As assigned, may participate in training assigned employees in their areas of work including computer systems engineering design methods, procedures, and techniques.
Possession of a bachelor’s degree in Computer Systems, Electronics, Electrical Engineering, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
The equivalent of three (3) years of full-time professional verifiable experience in computer systems engineering experience.
Additional professional experience as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a year-for- year basis. A college degree is preferred.
Must possess a valid California driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record. May be required to work overtime to test hardware and software.
- Operations, services, and activities of a comprehensive computer systems engineering program
- Operational characteristics of computer systems and their sub-components
- Computer programming languages and operating systems used in a variety of systems and real time applications
- Methods and techniques of estimating and scheduling computer system modifications
- Methods and techniques of programming and testing computer systems and applications
- Operational characteristics of a variety of databases and operational systems
- Methods and techniques of database management and administration
- Computer hardware and software equipment and materials
- Terminology, methods, practices, and techniques used in technical report preparation
- Advanced mathematical principles
- Current office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers
- Principles of lead supervision and training
- Related Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations
Skill/ Ability in:
- Developing, reviewing, and modifying complex computer systems
- Leading, organizing and reviewing the work of lower-level computer systems staff
- Independently performing the most difficult computer systems engineering work
- Reading and understanding technical drawings and specifications
- Performing database management and administration duties
- Interpreting and explaining District policies and procedures
- Preparing complex computer hardware and software designs
- Monitoring project budget and schedules
- Preparing computer programs, test procedures and operating manuals
- Troubleshooting and diagnosing computer system malfunctions
- Preparing and interpreting computer hardware specifications
- Analyzing complex technical problems, evaluating alternatives, and recommending solutions
- Conducting software tests and debugging procedures
- Understanding and following oral and written instructions
- Communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including District officials and the general public
Applications will be screened to assure that minimum qualifications are met. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will then be referred to the hiring department for the completion of further selection processes.
The selection process for this position may include a skills/performance demonstration, a written examination, and a panel and/or individual interview.
The successful candidate must have an employment history demonstrating reliability and dependability; provide copies of certificates, diplomas or other documents as required by law, including those establishing his/her right to work in the U. S; pass a pre-employment medical examination which may include a drug and alcohol screen, and which is specific to the essential job functions and requirements. Pre-employment processing will also include a background check. (Does not apply to current full-time District employees unless specific job requires additional evaluations).
External applicants may only apply online, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the online application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
Current employees are strongly encouraged to apply online, either at www.bart.gov/jobs, or on WebBART. Current employees may also apply using a BART paper application by delivering the completed form to the Human Resources Department, or by mailing it to P. O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. Online applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Applications must be complete by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and above), religion, national origin (including language use restrictions), disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics and information), or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by emailing at least 5 days before your examination date at email@example.com.
Qualified veterans may be eligible to obtain additional veteran's credit in the selection process for this recruitment (effective Jan. 1, 2013). To obtain the credit, veterans must attach to the application a DD214 discharge document or proof of disability and complete/submit the Veteran's Preference Application no later than the closing date of the posting. For more information about this credit please go to the Veteran's Preference Policy and Application link at www.bart.gov/jobs.
Please note that any job announcement may be canceled at any time.
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request.
When you have successfully applied for this position, you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please email Employment Help at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the 'My Career Tools' link at the top of the 'Careers Home Page' after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please email the Employment Help at email@example.com, between the hours of 8:15am - 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.
Are you interested?Apply On Web