A structured program to reduce waste and optimize productivity utilizing five terms beginning with "S" to create a workplace suited for visual control and lean operations:
The Five S' are:
1. Sort (Seiri) - to separate needed tools, parts, and the instructions from unneeded materials and to remove the latter.
2. Set-in-Order (Seiton) - to neatly arrange and identify parts and tools for ease of use.
3. Shine (Seiso) - to conduct a cleanup campaign.
4. Standardize (Seiketsu) - to conduct Seiri, Seiton and Seiso at daily intervals to maintain a workplace in perfect condition.
5. Sustain (Shitsuke) - to form the habit of always following the first four S'.
Many organizations have added a sixth S... Safety
Tip excerpted from The Professional's Guide To Maintenance And Reliability